Moama, Mathoura, Bunnaloo, Womboota & Caldwell
As the name suggests the Murray Region is located on the mighty Murray River, making the area a haven for anyone who loves the water. With two main townships and quaint surrounding villages the Murray Region is an ideal holiday location just hours from Melbourne. The area is steeped in history and is a great base from which to explore nearby regions, red gum forests and wetlands.
Murray Region at a glance
Towns and Villages: Moama, Mathoura, Bunnaloo, Womboota & Caldwell
Population: Moama – 5,119 Mathoura – 824
Main Industries: Tourism, Manufacturing, Timber, Sheep, Wheat, Rice and Viticulture
River: The Murray
Did you know? Echuca – Moama is home to the oldest paddlesteamer in the world – the P.S Adelaide built in 1866
February – Riverboats Music Festival
March – Mathoura Fishing Classic
June – Echuca Steam Rally
July – Echuca Moama Winter Blues Festival
October – Port of Echuca Heritage Steam Festival
November – Cadell Country Fair, Mathoura – Saturday before Melbourne Cup
Must See And Dos
- Discover the historic Echuca Wharf, an authentic working river port, and cruise the Murray River aboard an historic paddlesteamer.
- Take a peaceful cruise through the Barmah Wetlands, an area of international recognition. See the world’s largest red gum forest and hundreds of types of birds including wading and migratory species.
- Check out the internationally important Gulpa Creek Reed Beds Bird Observatory.
- Experience the first class food and wine on offer at the many local restaurants and wineries.
- Witness the trials of drovers in days gone by in ‘The Drover and Horse’ Sculpture at Mathoura.