The Long Paddock is a fisherman’s paradise with the route crossing five of Australia’s most significant rivers – The Murray,The Edward, The Murrumbidgee, The Lachlan and The Darling. This is great country for catching Murray Cod, Yellowbelly, Bream and Redfin.
- What could be better then fishing the Mighty Murray?
- If you love your fishing, the best experiences are to be had downstream towards Torrumbarry or upstream at the Barmah and Moira Forests
- The Murray and Edward Rivers and Gulpa Creek are all within 10km of Mathoura and are prized fishing grounds by anglers throughout Australia
- Head to Deniliquin where the Edward River is famous Australia wide for its fishing, in particular as home to the Murray Cod
- The Billabong Creek at Wanganella is said to be the longest ‘creek’ in Australia, and fishermen will delight in finding the elusive Murray Cod here
- Hay has many great spots along the river for fishing, and the best times of year to fish are the Autumn months
- The Lachlan River at Booligal is a popular fishing spot with large cod, perch and catfish to be had
- The Menindee Lakes is one of the finest freshwater fishing spots in NSW, with Murray cod, golden perch, silver perch, European carp, crayfish and catfish in abundant supply
- Fishing the Darling River around Wilcannia is welcomed and the fishing is good!
- Fisherman are advised to check with local Visitor Information Centres regarding river levels, license requirements and bag limits prior to visiting any of these sites
- All of these sites offer great camping spots nearby
Planning to continue your fishing trek?
Why not follow the Darling River Run north – check out Tilpa, Louth, Bourke & finish with the 40,000 year old Aboriginal Fish Traps in Brewarrina?